Saturday, September 20, 2008

Office Project - Making Slow Progress

I've been making very slow progress on my office remodel over the past two months. Finishing my bedding book and getting my daughter ready for college have take every waking minute of my time and this "quick" face lift, which I thought would take a few weeks, has turned into a never ending project. The progress that I have made has been well worth it. The space is bright and cheerful now and much more user friendly. I cut down the size of my huge desk and changed it's direction which helped with the flow. Here are some before and after photos to show you my slow progress towards a finished room.


So far I've managed to get the cabinets and new woodwork on the fireplace painted. This proved to be a much more complicated process than I could have imagined as my supposedly "legal" painter was arrested and deported mid-way through the job and I was left to do most of the work myself. It's amazing what a crisp new coat of white paint can do for cabinets. The "before" paint was a neutral light tan color that was perfect for my showroom but did not do anything for the cabinets when they were installed in my house.


The ugly china hutch was also painted white and now blends in well with the other cabinetry. I like the way it adds a unique outline to the otherwise plain cabinets. I hate to have everything look the same especially when dealing with lots of built-ins in one room. Nothing is as boring as walls and walls of identical cabinets and shelves. Mix it up a bit!


New can down lights have added a substantial amount of light to the room which was one of my main complaints that needed to be addressed. Two new hanging fixtures will eventually be hung over the desk. I hung one and ran into an electrical problem with the new wiring so I am now waiting for that to be resolved.

After the painting was finally finished the wallpaper was hung. Thankfully, my paper hanger is 100% American and did not have to flee the country mid- job. I love the paper - it is so bright and lively!!


The floor now consists of the chipboard paneling sub-floor until I can afford to put in the wood that I have installed in the rest of the house. My miniature dachshund Marty likes to use it as a scratching post! At least I got rid of the awful tan carpeting! Even ugly plywood is better than that was.

Hopefully I will be able to finish it soon. Window treatments still need to be designed and fabrics chosen. The hanging fixture problem needs to be resolved and the floors need to be completed. I also need to find the perfect upholstered desk chair which seems to be alluding me.

After over 20 years in this business I am still amazed how no project for my own home ever goes smoothly! Ce la Vie.!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie!

Marty is so cute!!

Your office is looking great:)

You are inspiring me to redo!
It seems like I'm always helping others...My home is last on the list..but boy..... I am feeling the urge!

Smiles,
kayellen

Linda Merrill said...

The office is nice, but THE DOG is spectacular. Marty is just like my old (and now departed) dog Wiggy. I love dachshunds!

preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

omg, i love what you have done! nice job!!!

also, your dog is adorable!

Decor To Adore said...

Your working environment looks like it is going to be such a lovely space. My red dachshund, Rudi, says "Hello" to Marty. :)

Claire Louise Milne said...

I love the results of painting your cabinets and fireplace white - it looks so nice and airy and you're right it ties everything together. Very inspiring.
p.s. thanks for the visit!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind comments about the office and Marty says" Yes, I know I am beautiful!"

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie
I can totally relate to your "quick" face lift project taking on a life of its own, but I can't say that I have had my painter deported...poor guy and poor you. Your office is looking great and it will be so worth it when it is all finished. Marty is a doll!

Sweet Designs said...

Your office is looking great, so bright and feminine! Love the little doggie too, he reminds me of my little dog Toby.

drey said...

i love what you've done to your office! it's clearly a pleasurable space to work and be creative :) it's also wonderful to finally be (kinda) done with a space!!!!!

Mélanie said...

Great job , I love this post about remodeling