Like many people my personal life and my career have changed so much in the past few years that I hardly recognize myself. I’ve gone from running a demanding business with employees, lots of clients and a retail showroom to working at home by myself. I’ve had fabulous opportunities come my way that have enriched my life in ways I could not have imagined. I’ve also had difficult challenges arise that have worn me down and caused me to wonder if I had made the right choices in my life and career. Over all its been a great journey that just gets more exciting and challenging every day but I have found that at times I wonder why I am doing what I’m doing and why I am always working so hard.
Many years ago I was facing some really tough life situations that had taken a serious toll on me and I was forced to make a critical decision that would affect the rest of my life. I had to choose whether I would spend the rest of my life being happy or miserable. I chose happiness. It sounds like an easy choice but it is not always easy to be happy. You need to make that conscious choice every day and stick to it. It can take more discipline and effort to be happy than to lay around and wallow in your misfortune or apathy.
I have found in the past couple of years that my idea of happiness and the things that make me happy have changed dramatically. My kids aren’t home anymore, I’m older, more wrinkled, and less energetic. Life is very different and I need to reevaluate what really makes me happy. So for the next year I will be posting my monthly Happy List of random stuff that makes me smile now in this new chapter of my life. I want to be sure that I am paying attention to my happy moments and not just rushing through them. Take some time to enjoy your happy moments with me.
1. Crisp Fall air and the ability to wear long sleeves again
2. Giving an all day seminar on Friday in Phoenix Arizona with the lovely ladies of the WCAA chapter and then going to Helser Brothers to preview my new drapery hardware line!
3. Thanksgiving in San Francisco with my wonderful hubby and two of my great kids
4. Pretzel Thins – OMG they are the best snack food ever
5. My twin nieces will be turning two this month
6. Small dogs who sleep flat on their backs with their feet up in the air while snoring
7. Photoshop - my skills are slowly improving and I am learning how to do fantastic things with it by watching a million tutorials on You Tube
8. Cable DVR and not having to watch commercials
9. All of my skinny jeans from last Fall still fit me!
10. Velour covered hangers, what a genius invention
11. Left over Halloween candy
12. Not having to live in a cocoon with all of my blinds closed all day long to ward off the crazy summer heat – let the sun shine in
I hope you have many reasons to be happy today :)