Thursday, July 26, 2007

Shopping in San Clemente



During my week away from work I spent a lot of time doing what else - working! I scoured southern California for unusual and unique finds and came across quite a few worthy of note.

Our first stop was the quaint little township of San Clemente. Hugging the coast just south of Dana Point, it is a tiny bit of somewhat unspoiled old California. Many of the old architecture remains and it still has that laid back slow Cali atmosphere familiar to anyone as old as I am ( I'm not telling but it rhymes with forty seven - ughhh).

The main shopping boulevard is the Avenida Del Mar. It is packed with a number of quality shops, restaurants, and antique consignment stores. One I would highly recommend is CHRISTOPHER / LEE LTD, at 158 Avenida Del Mar. Among the lovely items you would expect to find in most home decor stores they have found some real gems - and when I say gems - I mean GEMS!!!



These spectacular pieces are from a local Laguna artist - Philip Kiluk. I am told that Mr Kiluk was a sought after muralist and oil painter who traveled the world practicing his craft. In the course of his travels he collected vintage jewelry and mementos which he now crafts into stunning works of art. I apologize for my bad photos. They do not do justice to the superb craftsmanship of each piece.




This gilded, bejeweled bird is the centerpiece of a magnificent crucifix. Many of the components that Kiluk uses in his creations are everyday objects such as vintage jewelry, belt buckles, watch findings, etc. His frames contain small collages made with items such as vintage postcards stamps and trading cards.



For more info contact: Christopher / Lee Ltd 949-369-0265

1 comment:

blah said...

Dear Jackie - these are stunning - your really have some lovely things here in your archives